Saturday, March 19, 2011

Ugh..

I am 49 years old and, in 2002, I lost 15 lbs on Weight Watchers. I cannot lose the last 8 pounds with all I do! Do I need more aerobic exercise? I lift weights twice a week, I spin for 1 hour a week and I do the elliptical 1 or 2 days a week for 30 to 40 minutes. Is it my age? I am very muscular in my arms and legs but I need to get rid of some belly fat and under my arms around my bust area. I am 5’2” at 148 lbs.

Answer

More aerobic exercise would not hurt, but exercise alone usually doesn’t burn enough calories for weight loss. Studies show that women need fewer calories, along with exercise, to lose weight. You, personally, need 1600 calories a day at your ideal weight. You should be able to lose slowly on 1300 – 1500 calorie a day. You have an advantage in breaking a plateau because you’ve maintained a weight loss for 6 years. Dr. George Blackburn, a nutrition authority, writes about the wisdom of losing weight in steps in Break Through Your Set Point: How to Finally Lose the Weight You Want and Keep It Off. He shows how retrain your metabolism to naturally maintain a lower weight.

ABOVE IS FROM HERE